Alabama Chanin is a lifestyle company that focuses on creating an array of products for the person and the home through focusing on Slow Design and sustainability. Our products are made by hand and machine using a combination of new, organic, and recycled materials.
Over the years, Alabama Chanin has developed a life of its own that emerges as a multi-fold organization—which we refer to as the “Alabama Chanin Family of Businesses.” Each of our divisions has individual specialties, yet all fall under the same mission established for Alabama Chanin. Our philosophy guides each arm and we all work together toward the same goal: creating beautiful products in sustainable ways that enrich our customers, community, and co-workers.
Our studio space is housed in a sturdy, industrial-style, metal building which we call “The Factory.” It is a unique work environment, and our team members are creative, inspired, committed, dedicated, and enthusiastic about their role in the company—we truly love and believe in what we are doing here at The Factory
If you think you would be a perfect fit for our growing team, then you’ve come to the right place.
*Alabama Chanin is an equal-opportunity employer and does not discriminate against a job applicant or an employee because of the person's race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, sexual orientation, disability or genetic information.
Technical Designer, Full Time
Alabama Chanin is seeking a Technical Designer for our apparel and home division. Must have full knowledge of pattern making – development through production; grading and fit; manufacturing techniques; fabric management and performance. Ability to oversee sample and small production room – scheduling and planning. Terrific opportunity for a hands-on, team-oriented industry talent. Location: Florence Alabama.
Please contact deborah [at] alabamachanin.com for more information or apply in person at 462 Lane Drive, Florence from 10:00am – 4:00pm daily.
Sewing Machine Operator, Full time
Alabama Chanin/A. Chanin is looking for experienced sewing machine operators to join our team. Must be able to run a two-needle hemmer and range of machines, and live in or around the Shoals community.
Please contact olivia [at] alabamachanin.com for more information or apply in person at 462 Lane Drive, Florence from 10:00am – 4:00pm daily.
Knitwear Production Coordinator
In partnership with Nest, Alabama Chanin is hiring a Knitwear Production Coordinator to facilitate and begin implementation of a skill-training program under The School of Making.
Term: 6 months – 1 year
- Experience in overseeing all aspects of cut-and-sew knitwear production
- Experience and deep understanding of technical specifications and costing for cut-and-sew knit garments and products
- An ability to work with customers on samples, fabrics, costing, and production orders
- Extensive working knowledge of available machinery and attachments
- Extensive working knowledge of knit fabrics, shrinkage, cutting, sewing, inspection, and all aspects of manufacturing including markers, CMT, and all-around production knowledge
- Ability to monitor garment dye programs, including lab dips, coordination, and approval
- Ability to work in a positive and collaborative manner, including direct and frequent communication with customers, suppliers, artisans, machine operators, sales, marketing, and management staff
- Understanding of Knitwear Specifications—from initial conception/revision/development through production
- Knowledge of Knitwear Research and Development—understanding of and ability to investigate new fabrics, fabric dealers and knit resources, including gauges, stitches, and styling that is applicable to the marketplace, target consumer, and customers
- Ability to teach, guide, inspire, and direct co-workers and trainees in a positive manner
- Ability to coordinate and use Building 14 | Fabric Resource Library with Technical Designer
- Exceptional ability to train additional Production Coordinators, artisans, and/or machine operators
- Ability to assist in curriculum development for educational training
- Participating in a positive manner in all client meetings, including, Technical Pack Handoffs, fittings, etc.
- Handling all customer relations including pricing, fabrics, deliveries, trims, and any other task necessary for successful order fulfillment
- Direct and daily communication and interaction with artisans, machine operators, trainees, and Technical Knitwear Designer
- Analyze sales and production reports for future seasonal development as needed
- Prepare and actively participate in weekly coordination, departmental, and team meetings as needed to assure strong communication on all processes and product related issues
- Work to ensure deadlines are met to reach company goals and objectives
- Work closely with Accounting Team on billing, receivables, and inventory
- Work closely with Human Resources on all hiring and firing
- Oversee production calendar timelines and work towards continually meeting timelines
Interested and qualified applicants should direct all inquiries and application materials to building14 [at] alabamachanin.com (via email with subject line: Knitwear Production Coordinator)