EDITH HEAD REISSUED

If you’d like to be a success in business, start working!

If you’d like to be a success as a housewife, start cooking!

If you’d like to be a social success, start smiling!

If you’d like to get married, start looking!

I am sitting down with Miss Head’s reissued manual after a long morning (it is only 8 am) of cooking breakfast, gardening, cleaning, conference calling, laundry and assorted cat wrangling.  It is delightful and charming to read her advice, even though I seem to be in direct violation of the bulk of it. I am in a simple jersey dress that will take me from home, to the office, to the market, and to dinner (hopefully) without a single judgmental glance (and I haven’t stocked my handbag with gloves or pearls).

Her advice for a bygone era is captivating, often relevant, and inspiring.

I love the illustration below from page 145 – and the quote to go with it from the opposite page: “No one knows better than a studio designer how important underthings are in changing a woman’s appearance.”  As a girl who likes to collect pretty “underthings,” I couldn’t agree more.

Don’t miss the “Color Aura Chart” starting on page 123 and the “Successories” from page 133.

Lipstick and perfume before breakfast? Tomorrow- just maybe.

How To Dress for Success by Edith Head with Joe Hyams – Originally published in 1967 and reissued by Abrams in 2011, including  illustrations by Edith Head.

We invite you to share your tips and tricks by commenting below before Sunday, July 31, 2011. We’ll select a contributor at random to receive a copy of the book!

Bookmark and Share

22 thoughts on “EDITH HEAD REISSUED

1. Harper

Edith was right about the underwear, The Success of your Dress depends on your Undergarments!
    I’m a fan of perfume before bed, myself :)

2. Monica

Although I do not wear it every day, I’ve found that wearing perfume a/o lipstick not only improves my mood and makes me happier and ready to face the day, but I makes those around me perk up as well! Those little things really make a woman glow!

3. Amy Greer Cruce

Pearls are my saving grace…on the soccer field, at the grocery store, weddings, funerals…t-shirts or linen. I left them on a friend’s dresser in Bham once and she hadn’t mailed them back by the weekend. I finally called and told her, “I’m going to have to buy makeup if you don’t hurry up and get my pearls home ;)

4. Carla Prael

Stories of Edith Head and her wonderful designs always make me happy. She added such interest and style to the movie industry. I travel a lot for work and rely on linen clothing. It flows well, is lightweight, does not scorch under international irons, packs well, and can be worn more than once before a good sink washing. A blemish stick, one lipstick, an eyeliner, a pair of silver hoop earrings, and a handful of scarves accessorize any outfit when necessary.

5. katie

i don’t know that this is necessarily a beauty trick, but my number one practice for not looking and acting like a lunatic is to get up before my children. coffee, reading, writing, and Quiet make be more graceful the rest of the day.

6. Lynne

Always where a smile, smirk or grin… it makes others wonder whats within! Of course the proper shade of lipstick is always a picker upper :)

7. Eleanor

My new trick for dressing with pizazz, or getting out of a wardrobe rut: build an outfit around an accessory (bracelet, shoes, earrings – whatever!) Planning an outfit in reverse helps me recategorize individual pieces and use them in new ways.

8. Melissa

As an historic costumer I know the importance of well fitting and period appropriate undergarments. There’s nothing like a tightly laced stay to change your posture and deportment. They also make me really appreciate the ease of wearing modern clothing. I also love wearing one really unique or spectacular piece of art jewelry to make an outfit special.

1. Sloane

Keep a strict amount of closet space, which forces you to shop thoughtfully, and get rid of items that you no longer wear. Result: a closet full of only things you love, making getting dressed a simple affair.

9. Rose

I’ll have to agree with the underwear and perfume bit. As a homeschooling mom, I need to feel “put together” even if I’m not leaving the house. Keeps me from becoming a total slob. Also, take the time to iron if needed. Nothing worse than looking like you slept in your clothes. (Which us Mamas can attest to, happens quite a lot.)

10. Emily

When it’s hot I wear light summer dresses. Not only does my husband love them, but they make me feel feminine, even when I am doing mundane housework.

11. Heather

This looks like fun! I’m like you- one dress lasts all day, but the illustrations look so interesting and I think it would make me smile!

12. Michelle Shopped

couldn’t agree more considering we’ve been selling them online for a number of years ;), a couple of my favorites being grenier and silhouette! now back to catching up on your most recent posts…