GARDEN & GUN JUBILEE

sew-web

We are excited to be a part of the first-ever Made in the South Weekend, hosted by Garden & Gun magazine in Charleston, South Carolina, next month. The Jubilee will be a lively mix of sporting, shopping, food, music, and art, and will feature an Alabama Chanin Trunk Show and Two-Hour Workshop. Make plans to join us.

cocktail-napkins-web

MARKETPLACE TRUNK SHOW

The Alabama Chanin Collection table at the Made in the South Marketplace will feature an array of holiday gifts including knotted necklaces, scarves, ponchos, cocktail napkins, tea towels, books, and socks.

You can also shop our selection of Studio Style DIY items, including fabric, notions, sewing kits, DIY kits, studio books, and Handmade Holiday.

Special orders and custom order DIY kits will also be available.

Friday, December 6 through Sunday, December 8

Friday: 11:00am – 4:00pm
Saturday: 10:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday: 10:00am – 3:00pm

Charles Towne Landing
1500 Old Towne Road
Charleston, SC 29407

(*Early, private access begins at 9:00am on Friday)

TWO-HOUR SEWING WORKSHOP

Sunday, December 8, 2013
10:00am – 1:00pm

Charles Towne Landing
1500 Old Towne Road
Charleston, SC 29407

Join Natalie and the Alabama Chanin team for a two-hour sewing workshop at the Jubilee. Choose from three projects: a Journal Cover, a Scarf, or Placemats. The workshop is suited to beginning and experienced sewers alike. Materials, instructions, stories, and laughter are included.

Bookmark and Share

8 thoughts on “GARDEN & GUN JUBILEE

1. LW

Wow, I have to say it’s really surprising and offensive that you would promote and support hunting. What a disappointment.

1. Alabama

Thanks for your concern, LW. At Alabama Chanin, we are makers and educators, working to elevate and merge design, craft, and fashion, especially so in the South. Garden & Gun is a lifestyle magazine that celebrates the best in Southern food, music, art, and culture. The Jubilee Made in the South Weekend is highlighting Southern makers of all kinds.

2. Jessica

I understand what the Julibee is about. I LOVE what you are doing with your company, and yours is my new favorite blog! I plan to make many things from your books and learn new techniques. I did just want to say that I was a bit shocked by the combination of ‘garden’ and ‘gun.’ Though I’m not familiar with the magazine, I can’t say that I would support such a seeming glorification of violence. Having lived in Richmond, VA, for a year and a half, I understand a little of Southern culture, but the ‘good old boys’ waving their guns around with Confederate flags in the windows of their pickups? Well, that’s just plain scary. I’m really not trying to be negative, I just felt the need to share what comes to my mind when I hear Southerners celebrating ‘gun’ culture of any kind. Of course, this is coming from a ‘Yank’ – a derogatory term I had never heard before living in VA, and hope to never in my life hear again. Confused, but still a fan, J

3. Joan Mason

Unfortunately the name of the magazine is very off putting, even for someone who was born and raised in the south (Florence, Alabama) but now lives in the Yankee part of Florida. I watch shoppers as they look over the magazine rack and are truly shocked by the title of the magazine, in fact I myself was, as well, when I first saw it. Then when they see that it is a southern magazine they mutter something like “of course its southern”. It is a shame that the title of the magazine is one that lends itself to the stereotype of “Southern” instead of the south that Alabama Chanin is cultivating.
    I have read articles from the magazine and they are well written and informative as well as display the creativity of the southern people. I would hesitate to buy it due to the title and obvious link to the gun culture of the south and most of the US. I strongly believe that we need to limit gun ownership and use in this country and would not want to be seen that I supported anything that supported gun culture in any way.
    I can find southern culture, crafts and foods in other less offensive magazines and books. And we always have the Alabama Chanin blog.

4. MimiB

I’m a southerner by birth and live in Florida by choice, but I am NOT a gun person and really do not want hunting lifestyle articles or emails in my mailbox. I am a realist. I know that not all hunters or southern gun people are irresponsible moonshine crazed drunkards, but the glorification of hunting is nevertheless a barbaric holdover from a former age, wherever it is still glorified, north, south, east or west. I’d have liked to think civilized modern people were ready to move beyond that unfortunate bit of old time heritage, as we’ve hopefully moved beyond ingrained traditional racism. Perhaps I’m wrong.

I can’t begin to explain how disappointed I am to learn that Alabama Chanin, which seemed to be, in so many ways, trying to embrace and support what is worthy and important in our southern American heritage, is promoting hunting and guns.

5. MimiB

I wish there were an edit feature for comments. Since there isn’t, I’ll add an addendum to my comment.

I have lived in Virginia, Alabama and Texas as well as Florida and even “up north” in Maryland. Gun culture is an anathema to me. The very idea of Alabama Chanin, celebrating a “Garden and Gun Jubilee” is just so off putting that it leaves such a bad taste in my mouth and makes me question my further association with your company as a customer. I’ve spent a fair amount of money on your books, fabric, web courses and notions in the past, ignorant as to your support of gun culture and hunting, since ordinarily I chose to not knowingly do business with any retail outlet that promotes hunting and guns.

6. Elizabeth

Check it out. The name Garden and Gun is an “inside” reference to a former disco club in Charleston. Not nearly as offensive as some of you seem to believe. It’s all about food, travel, culture, promoting the wonderful happenings, places and products of the south. I am no lover of guns, I get my food the easy way, at the farmers market or grocery store…
    You can do no wrong, in my eyes, Alabama Chanin.